History

NEVIS Township and its railway village were probably named either for Ben Nevis in western Scotland, the highest mountain of Great Britain,

or for Nevis, an island of the West Indies.

The city was incorporated as a village on February 4, 1902, and again on April 9, 1921,

at which time it separated from the township;

the post office began in 1899.